Register  
 
 
 
 
 
Five Aus equities managers share $1bn in new mandates
Monday, 10 December 2012 5:00pm

Close to $1 billion dollars worth of new Australian equities mandates have been handed out by industry superannuation fund VicSuper as part of an investment overhaul.

AllianceBernstein, Perpetual, Tribeca Investment Partners, SG Hiscock and Vinva will now run actively managed Australian equities for VicSuper, which funded the new mandates by taking money away from passive Australia equities mandates run by BlackRock and the SSgA Australian SAM Sustainability Fund.

All the mandates are worth $165 million each, except Vinva's which is worth $330 million, and collectively they represent approximately 10% of VicSuper's total funds under management.

VicSuper only used BlackRock and the SSgA Australian SAM Sustainability Fund for its Australian equities investments and the decision to fund the new ones through a drawdown was not performance based, Oscar Fabian, VicSuper chief investment officer told Financial Standard.

"These new mandates had to be funded from somewhere. We didn't have a great deal of choice as there was only two," he said.

The new appointments are part of a strategic review of investments at the fund, which has been underway for 18 months, he said.

The new managers will be used to populate VicSuper's 'core plus satellite' investment structure.

Currently around 60% of VicSuper's Australian equities are in the core, which is passive or enhanced index, and the remaining 40% is in actively managed satellites, said Fabian.

Given this mix, the new satellite managers will be highly active and benchmark unaware with the aim of further improving the Fund's overall asset class performance, he advised.

VicSuper has already revamped its international equities and global fixed interest investments in a similar way, and is working with asset consultant Frontier Advisers to find new managers for its real assets and property investments.

United States based Payden & Rygel as well as Stone Harbor Investment Partners were awarded new international fixed income mandates in April this year, also funded by a drawdown from a mandate held by BlackRock, Fabian said.

Money was also recently taken away from a mandate held by Vanguard to fund new international equities mandates awarded to New York-based Global Thematic Partners, Martin Currie, Walter Scott, and Sanders Capital, which was founded by former AllianceBernstein CEO and chairman Lewis Sanders.

Fabian said that BlackRock was aware money would eventually be taken away from its VicSuper mandates to pay for the new investment structure when they were originally awarded.

News Search   
VideoBrought to you by
How to distribute 8% per year from global equities
Investor needs have not changed, what has changed is the level of income available from traditional yield sectors such as cash and bonds. This presentation will cover in detail how investors can diversify ... Watch video
Developing investment opportunities
Given the evolution of Australian Equities funds over the last 10 years, how has the Growth team's investment strategy remained relevant? Watch video
MAX
We invite you to the 2014 Marketing, Advertising and Sales Excellence (MAX) Forum and Awards, the premiere event for financial services professionals who are raising the standards in marketing, sales and ... Watch video
Betashares high interest cash ETF
The Betashares high interest cash ETF is currently returning significantly above the default cash rates offered on the larger wrap platforms. Learn more about this product in this exclusive video featured ... Watch video
Get it
Daily
FREE to your inbox, get the Financial Standard Daily Email.
Get the Free
iPad app
Download the Financial Standard iPad app for FREE
Industry
Events
APR
19
MAY
28
Asset Allocation 2014 Forum in Sydney,
29
2014 Annual Stockbrokers Conference
JUN
18
MAX: the Marketing, Advertising and Sales Exellence Forum and Awards
APR
28
FPA TASA road shows
29
FPA TASA road shows
News
Bites

$245 (inc GST) for 1 year
 
 
About Us
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Comments Policy
Events Calendar

Register
Archive
CPD Login
Register

Managed Funds
- Australian
- Global
Superannuation Funds
- Specialist
- Diversified
"Guide To" Series
Product Launches
Showcases

Home
Shows
Learning
Events
Profiles
Showcase
Platform Report
Mandate Chaser
Roundup
Advantage
Benchmarking

FS Advice
FS Super
FS Private Wealth
Copyright © 1992-2014 Rainmaker Group
All material on this site is subject to copyright. All rights reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced, translated, transmitted, framed or stored in a retrieval system for public or private use without the written permission of the publisher.
Link to something UiH7FEHU